DENHAM SPRINGS -- Extradition from Kentucky to Louisiana has been delayed for the suspect in the murder of a well-known Denham Springs couple after he contested his transfer.

Michael Collins went before a judge in Allen County, Kentucky to fight the extradition to Denham Springs, where he faces first-degree murder charges for the death of Eugene F. "Frank" and Patricia Gurley.

The process to extradite Collins now must go through several chains of command which could take days, weeks or possibly months, Denham Springs Police Chief Shannon Womack said.

Womack must complete paperwork to request the extradition. As part of the process, he must submit the information to 21st Judicial District Attorney Scott Perrilloux, Livingston Parish Clerk of Court Tom Sullivan and 21st JDC Chief Judge Morrison to sign off on the request.

The request would then go to state Attorney General Jeff Landry and finally to Gov. John Bel Edwards, who would sign off a governor's warrant, which would then go to the desk of Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin to move the process forward.

"To my knowledge, we've never had to do one of these in the history of the Denham Springs Police Department," Womack said. "A defendant has the right to contest extradition, but we're doing our best to extradite him."

The Gurleys were found dead shortly after midnight Oct. 31 in the building which houses National Pool Company, the business they own on Pete's Highway.

Their son and two DSPD officers broke the door to the business where they found Mr. and Mrs. Gurley, after their family and friends had received no information on their whereabouts.

The Gurleys died from blunt head trauma injuries, according to preliminary autopsy results conducted by the East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Coroner's Office via the Livingston Parish Coroner's Office. 

Womack said in a press conference Oct. 31 that residents had seen the Gurleys alive as late as 4 p.m. Monday.

Womack and DSPD have spent the week reviewing surveillance video from near the scene of the crime in hopes they can see the events that led to the murder.

Authorities captured Collins on Nov. 3 around 4 p.m. in Scottsville, a town of 4,229 in south central Kentucky, about one hour north of Nashville.

A tip from Baton Rouge Crime Stoppers on the whereabouts of Collins led to his capture.

A joint operation between Allen County Sheriff Jeff Cook and the Kentucky State Police led the capture of Collins in a residential manufactured home in a rural area, Womack said.

Collins is currently being held in a Kentucky jail as a fugitive from Louisiana.

Womack said Saturday night he reached out to Nashville TV stations within a day after the murder to seek information from residents which would lead to Collins's arrest.

Collins -- who is believed to be a native of northeast Tennessee -- had worked for the Gurleys. He lived on the property of the business until he was terminated, Womack said.

Collins is believed to have been in possession of a white 2016 Nissan frontier pickup truck belonging to Eugene F. Gurley.

The criminal record for Collins included an arrest for domestic abuse battery in 2016, Womack said.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.