LIVINGSTON -- The fate of a proposed mobile home community will highlight discussion at Thursday's meeting of the Livingston Parish Council.
Council members will decide whether or not they should rescind the permit they granted to Walker businessman Dennis Sterling at the Aug. 23 meeting.
Sterling paid $300,000 for an eight-acre lot previously used as a temporary mobile home site Sheriff Jason Ard established for his displaced deputies after the August 2016 flood.
Sterling and business partner Mike Lester plan to use the property for Five Oaks Mobile Home Community.
Livingston Parish Planning Director Sam Digrioalmo approved the permit as an existing mobile home park, a move he said was erroneous because it should have been listed as a temporary site.
Residents packed the Livingston Community Center last week for a public information meeting which included Lester, Sterling and his attorney Lane Bennett, along with four Livingston Parish Council members -- Tracy Girlinghouse, Maurice Keen, Garry Talbert and Jeff Ard. Ard represents the area of the proposed community.
The residents said they were under the impression the park was a temporary site. They also fear that the mobile home community would diminish property value of their homes.
Ard abstained from the vote on the measure at the last meeting to avoid any ethical conflicts regarding his brother's former involvement with the community.
If the matter goes back before the Planning Commission, members could still approve the site, but the Parish Council would still have the final authority to accept or reject the recommendation.
The meeting starts at 6 p.m. at the Livingston Parish Council Meeting Chamber.