WALKER -- The Walker City Council will hear about efforts to secure a federal Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWFC) grant for a playground next to Challenger Field at its meeting at 6 p.m. Monday.
The city administration is looking at building the playground for special-needs children near the ball field dedicated to the same children with physical or mental challenges in Sidney Hutchinson Park.
Challenger Field is reserved for special-needs children to participate in baseball games. It meets the requirements to comply with the federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Also on the agenda are three ordinances to be introduced with public hearings on each at the June 10 council meeting. They are:
• Budget amendment to purchase an excavator for the Gas Department.
• Amendment to the animal control ordinance.
• Amendment to the occupational license ordinance.
In other business, the council will:
• Consider a request from Chief David Addison to hire John Taylor as a full-time police officer.
• Consider amending the employee handbook on overtime and comp time policies.
• Consider a resolution on a municipal water pollution prevention audit.
• Consider a proclamation declaring June as Health Awareness Month.