Dr. Houston David Hughes, Sr., a beloved husband, father, grandfather and brother, passed away on May 23, 2023, with family by his side. Dr. Hughes was born on May 21, 1940. He graduated from Doyle High School in 1958. He continued his education at Southeastern Louisiana University and Northeastern State University (ULM) where he obtained his Master’s degree in Pharmacy. Dr. Hughes practiced as a pharmacist for several years while he followed his passion to become a dentist. He graduated from dental school in 1969 with his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from Loyola University in New Orleans. He began his life-long career as a dentist where he truly loved serving his patients for 53 years. The family hopes he will be well-remembered as the dentist who whistled, hummed and tapped his feet during their appointments. In addition to his practice, he was a true outdoorsman. He loved going on many hunting and fishing trips throughout his lifetime. Dr. Hughes enjoyed traveling the world with his “sweetheart” and spending as much time as they could at their retirement home in Playa Blanca, Panama. Dr. Hughes is survived by his “darling” wife, Sheree Hughes; son, Dr. Damon Hughes (Christie); daughters, Darlene Whittlesy (Stephen), DeAnna Cole (Lance), DeShae Pardon (Chris), Dr. Destanee Hughes Hines (Andrew), and Dara Hughes. He adored and was so proud of all of his 11 grandchildren: Kolby (Katlyn), Savannah, River, Maddie, Katlyn, Blake, Kyle, Cade, Micah, Haven, and Houston; and two great-grandchildren, Vivian & Lilith. He is also survived by his adoring sister, Theresa Whitehead; his dental assistant Suzonne Dayries, who worked by his side for more than 20 years; as well as many nieces, nephews, and cousins. Dr. Hughes was preceded in death by his parents, Willie Sharp Hughes and Lillie Miller Hughes, his brothers Dr. Milton Hughes and Willie S. Hughes, Jr., and his son Houston David Hughes, Jr. Visitation will be held at Seale Funeral Home in Denham Springs on Sunday, May 28, from 11-1 with a memorial service at 1:00. Honorary Pallbearers are Butch Miller, Pete DiBenedetto, Joe Carpenter, and Dickie Sullivan. In lieu of flowers, please make a contribution to your favorite charity.
- Country music legend Randy Travis gets biggest cheers of weekend-long music festival
- State Police: Denham Springs resident dies in two-vehicle crash in St. Helena Parish
- SOFTBALL | Parish players earn all-state recognition from Louisiana Softball Coaches Association
- Pelican State Credit Union awards scholarship to Livingston Parish student
- GIRLS ALL-PARISH BASKETBALL | Albany's Darouse selected Coach of the Year again
- Cpl. Shawn Kelly passes from gunshot wounds sustained in response to disturbance
- Denham Springs High 1973 graduates celebrate 50-year reunion
- BASEBALL/SOFTBALL | Holden's Douglas selected Outstanding Player on LSWA's all-state team for third straight season
- BASKETBALL | 2022-23 All-Parish Basketball Team
- James Wren Gardiner
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular audio clips.
- Country music icon Randy Travis inducted into Louisiana Music Hall of Fame | Photo Gallery
- Country music star Scotty McCreery delivers rousing show to close Memorial Day Festival | Photo Gallery
- Livingston Parish Sheriff's Office unveils new training facility | Photo Gallery
- Travis Tritt rocks the crowd during Cajun Country Jam music festival | Photo Gallery
- BASKETBALL | Walker Basketball Camp | Photo Gallery
- Denham Springs High Basketball Camp | Photo Gallery
- Kendall Shaffer takes the Cajun Country Jame stage | Photo Gallery
- FOOTBALL | Walker Football Camp | Photo Gallery
- Grammy Award-winning Shenandoah performs in Denham Springs | Photo Gallery
- SOFTBALL | Live Oak Softball Camp | Photo Gallery
- Denham Springs police officer injured in shooting 'fighting for his life,' officials say (3)
- Authorities searching for burglary suspect caught on camera (2)
- Injured police officer still fighting for his life, officials say: ‘A good family man’ (2)
- Denham Springs police officer, suspect in ‘critical condition’ after shooting, authorities say (2)
- Denham Springs shooting suspect dies at hospital, sheriff says (2)
- Authorities investigating officer-involved Denham Springs shooting, authorities say (2)
- Livingston Parish Council to discuss suspending planning and zoning commission's activity (2)
- Authorities searching for Denham Springs burglary suspect (1)
- Denham Springs Police Department launches ‘Click It or Ticket’ campaign for seatbelt use (1)
- Clark Robertson: Harvest time (1)
- Sport-N-Center selling special T-shirts to raise funds for Cpl. Kelly's family (1)
- Former Livingston Parish President Grimmer passes away (1)
(Editor's Note: The following is a paid story for iVisa)
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.